Monday, April 13, 2009

One Week Until Boston!

After 16 long weeks of some of the most rigorous and challenging training I have ever done, it's almost time to race in to Boston. I will join some of the world's best runners in this endeavor. Interestingly, they felt that they had to give them a head start! The fastest men and women start out over a half hour ahead... I guess they didn't want me showing them up or something.....Right!

Actually, I will probably never even see them, so I'd appreciate it if someone could record it for me :)

I feel nervous but ready. I have felt peaceful about the outcome for a while. I've studied course maps, gotten my refueling and rehydration plan together, and even have a backup plan for getting to the start if there is too much traffic - my old bike!

So I once again dedicate this race to the glory of God. I am running in honor of several friends:
Terry Johnson, who has valiantly battled cancer this past year
David Bryant, MD, a colleague and fellow runner, who has been afflicted with a heart condition which may permanently prevent him from running again
My sister Paula, who loved to set high challenges and then do them. I miss you, sis!
Jenny's Cross Country and Track coach, Richard Chenault. I will have his "prayer before a race" written on the back of my race bib in his honor.

"Lord, grant us the strength to finish the race. To know when it's right to pick up the pace. Stride for stride, let us feel your grace. Stop the doubts when they come in, and give us strength as we begin. And when we come to the finish line, let us know we gave everything from within."


And finally, anyone who needs a little inspiration to set a challenging goal and then go for it... Come on, if I can do it, so can you!

3 comments:

Tesa said...

I will be with you in prayer. I miss Paula, too. When is the actual race time?

Dr. Phil Fleming said...

Good question! The race for me starts at 10:33 AM EDT. It finishes when I finish :), about 3:40 or so

Jenny Pink said...

I'm so glad you found that runner's prayer Dad. That was always one of my favorite parts about Cross Country. I'll be praying for you too! I wish I could go, but finals won't let me.