Thursday, August 27, 2009

Running for your health - good or bad?

I read a great article which showed that vigorous exercise 30-45 minutes a day lowered cancer risk by half! Apparently this stimulates the immune system to get trid of new cancer cells before they can establish themselves.

Later the same day I read that runners have less arthritis in their knees than couch potatoes! Has to do with strengthening the cartilage along "repetitive lines of force".

But there is another side to all this running, too....

I was out on a humid warm evening on a 6 mile run. After 3 miles I was sweating freely and reached up to wipe the sweat off my forehead, because it was getting in my eyes. I just happened to be on the overpass of Wagner Road as it goes over M-14.....uh oh! there go my glasses - right off my face and onto the ground! Then in agonizingly slow motion, they rolled and slid over to the edge of the bridge railing and, after poising on the edge for a second, fell over, right onto the freeway :( OOOPS!

SO I ran home without any glasses, trying not to get run over (you all know how nearsighted I am), ran in the house, found some old glasses, and zoomed over in my car to the scene....NOTHING! I think the first truck going by blasted them to smithereens! "Oh, Magoo, you've done it again!"

Well, the old glasses are sort of working, and I ordered some new ones at Sear's Optical (they had a special).

For one of the few times in my adult life, I can't think of a single "moral lesson" to pass on....any ideas?

Love,

Papa Fleming

2 comments:

Jenny Pink said...

Oh man, so sad! That stinks! I'm glad you were able to get home safely. ;-)

Michael Fleming said...

Perhaps it's time to break out the croakies while you are running?